The village of Welney is situated 11 miles south west of Downham Market and 6 miles from the small Cambridgeshire town of Littleport. The village is situated immediately to the west of the Ouse Washes and the parallel rivers of the Old Bedford River, River Delph and New Bedford River which are crossed by the A1101 road.
The Ouse Washes is an internationally important area of wildlife conservation. On the eastern side of the Washes is the Welney Wildfowl and Wetland Centre managed by the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust. The centre includes an impressive visitor centre and tea room, excellent observation hides and hosts many events. Nearby, to the south of Welney, is the RSPB Ouse Washes reserve.
The area is at the heart of the black peat Fens, rich for agriculture. The village itself has a pub/restaurant The Lamb & Flag. The church of St Mary was constructed in 1848 the work of JC Buckler and was built from Norfolk Carrstone. It sits in a long graveyard, close to a water tower.
National Cycle Route 11which connects Cambridge with King’s Lynn, follow a route along the east side of the Ouse Washes at this point.